Sunday, October 6, 2013

Aladdin...and the wonderful tilapia!

Continuing our tradition (since Lina was 2 years and 10 months old) of seeing every production of Puppetworks in Park Slope, Brooklyn...we just saw their fall puppet show "Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp." It was incredibly entertaining! This show ends December 22, so there's plenty of time to see it with your family (the show is perfect for kids ages 4-8). Plus, it's a 5 minute walk from the theater to one of Lina's favorite playgrounds in NYC, J.J. Byrne (here's my review published on Mommy Poppins; Lina is in four of the photographs I took for that assignment...and wow, Squishy has grown so much in 1 1/2 years :-).

Since I discovered Haab Park Slope when we went to a puppet show at Puppetworks about seven weeks ago, once again we walked on 6th Avenue from 4th Street to 7th Street to indulge in the most amazing fish taco I have ever eaten. They use tilapia, a mild tasting fish that I first discovered in Santa Cruz, California a few years ago. I didn't realize it's gaining popularity in New York City (according to the New York Times, Americans ate four times as much tilapia in the last year as a decade ago). I also tasted a chorizo taco, truly perfectly cooked...yum...and the taco was only $3.25. I didn't have breakfast (I'm not a morning person, it takes hours for my system to wake up after I do...versus Lina who is a big fan of breakfast), but I wasn't super hungry at lunch (though we had a 2 mile walk on a fairly humid day). Knowing Lina would likely not split a Mexican meal with me (she just wanted to eat a fresh green salad and a plain tortilla- though she tried a hard taco shell this time; plus, she loves sipping water from the mason jars they provide)...I didn't want to order something larger like a burrito (stuffed with beans and rice) or fajitas or a brunch dish with eggs, but everything smelled delicious at the restaurant. This is definitely a place I want to bring friends in the future.