Friday, May 10, 2013

Mama Love All Year Round

Lina leaves me little love notes every week. Her favorite phrase is "mom you're amazing," and she says that whenever she wants to see me smile. Celebrating Mother's Day on a designated day seems silly...but we do have fun plans for Sunday.





LC: "Me and you. Me kicking a ball and my friend climbing a high thing and another kid, a stranger, in the park...he's having a fun time on the slide there."


LC: "You and me in our new beautiful home and it's 10 o'clock."


Unlike many blogs that are about the hardships of motherhood...sacrifices made, opportunities given up, frustrations experienced etc. I have no complaints about being a stay-at-home mom. I feel joy every day. I have never felt happier, more fulfilled and confident in my whole life...raising my daughter is my favorite thing to do and I wouldn't trade one moment we spent together to be rich, successful or famous. I don't whine about the time, money and energy required to be a parent because it feels effortless. I'm no longer trying to live up to other people's expectations or dedicating myself to meaningless interests. Motherhood connected me to the real Petek I lost long ago...from childhood...I feel free to pursue creative dreams and adventures galore. I'm not a Tiger Mom. I'm proud of my daughter, but my existence does not depend on pushing her to become someone she is not, for the sake of bragging rights. I don't pressure her to do things to impress others. I let her explore and enjoy the world, at her own pace. I'd rather have a child who doesn't grow up to be a miserable adult, filled with self-doubt and fear...or worn out from competing with others. She can make her own path in life and I will be her biggest supporter, always. She is proud of my talents and skills and when she tells me I did "a good job" and understands my goals and cheers me on...I know she believes in me more than anyone ever did. We make the best team. To all the moms out there...have a Happy Mother's Day on Sunday and lots of mama love all year round.