Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Photoville + Kites + Kayaks

We had a ton of fun last weekend. Well, we always have a lot of fun together just about every day (motherhood is a blast; my only regret is not doing this two decades ago when I had more energy)...but this trip was specifically for an interesting assignment. We went to Brooklyn Bridge Park to see Photoville; my review and my photo gallery just went live on Mommy Poppins today. I'll include some additional details in this post about the photo exhibits that LC really enjoyed. After visiting the photo village (made up of shipping containers), we walked from Pier 3 to Pier 1. Along the way, LC spotted folks paddling kayaks...looks like it's worth waiting on line to try that one day soon.


The rest of the day included a delicious vanilla sundae with (very rich) hot fudge at Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, a couple of rides on Jane's Carousel and Bargemusic (live classical music on a barge). LC also had the pleasure of flying her first kite ever at the Brooklyn Kite Festival (see a few frame capture stills below from a video clip):











LC is a little shutterbug, shooting photos since the age of 3. Perhaps she has more patience looking at photographs than other 4 year olds, but she enjoyed the variety of images and we stayed at Photoville for well over an hour...I wouldn't be able to say the same thing if we went to a traditional gallery in an enclosed space.

She was captivated by the "NYC Lomowall", colorful analog photographs in the Lomography container. She wanted to look at every little photo on the three walls of the shipping container.




"Between Destinations" is such a wonderful concept and the images are beautiful. I'm going to buy the Photo Book (and I haven't bought an art photography book since my pregnancy; I used to collect them). Candace Gaudiani took photographs through (and framed by) train windows, from the inside of the train looking out...while she was passing by various locations in the United States. I felt carried away, looking at the photographs. LC loves trains and trips and it was like she was imagining we were stopping at these beautiful locations.


I'm going to suggest this to LC the next time we take a long trip. She can bring her camera and take photos through train windows, car windows etc.

LC enjoyed seeing photos of musicians in the "Blinded by the Light" music photography container. She was drawn to an eye-catching image of the Beastie Boys underwater in a pool, and I pointed out to her other memorable portraits, like one of Bob Marley and a couple taken of The Beatles.

At "Phoot Camp 2012", there were a few nature and camp props positioned around the container and this caught LC's attention and then she tried to find the props in some of the photographs. Great way to keep her looking at photos for a while, so I could read some of the descriptions.


For some reason, this stark shipping container and the simple images had a calming effect on LC (I sort of wished that I could apply this aesthetic to the interior design of our new home when we move).


I think every kid (and adult) was fascinated by the AndrĂ© Feliciano Greenhouse, filled with delightful camera flower sculptures (point, but don't touch...so sad for a 4 year old, since she very much wanted to know "what camera flowers feel like").



Appreciating "The Wonder of Woman" container, work by Dutch photographers:


I loved the black-and-white documentary photography, especially "Dying Breed: Photos of Bedford Stuyvesant" and "No Place Like Home: Foreclosures in America". Contact sheets bring back memories of developing B&W film and printing my own work at School of Visual Arts.


It was the first time I stepped into a walk-in camera obscura, so I am grateful for this experience. It did take a bit for our eyes to adjust to the total darkness. To see the view of the dog run showing on a wall, flipped upside down was cool...(they used to trace outdoor scenes this way to make realistic drawings...and the camera obscura invention led to photography). I like exposing LC to low-tech!
If I had gone on the right day to see the "Tintype Photo Booth" setup by the Center for Alternative Photography...I would have shelled out $35 for the totally unique tintype portrait! (a photographic process invented in 1856!)
I am very intrigued by the plastic cameras, after seeing the cool 35mm Diana Mini and La Sardina in person, at a table for a Lomography workshop.


"The Fence" of community-themed photos were to our right as we made our way toward Pier 1. All in all, a very complete, fun day for our family. I'm glad I had a little time to share one of our many adventures.