Friday, March 2, 2012

The Sneetches Fascinate LC

I didn't realize yesterday was World Book Day. I started reading to LC when she was an infant and slowly building a collection of books. LC treasures them and asks me to read about a dozen books to her every day. When I was a child, if my grandma gave me $1 for candy...I would save the money to go to the corner bookstore instead. I don't think my mother understood how much I liked having my own books, rather than just borrowing from the library, and she never read stories to me (in any language). About a year ago, LC started to "read" to me...and that is great fun. We do visit libraries sometimes and sit to read for an hour or two. We went to the bookstore after her class this week, though, and LC chose The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss. She is already telling me the story...she carried the book downstairs when I did laundry yesterday. For her birthday, she will get On the Night You Were Born and The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh. She hasn't asked for any toys for her birthday, just books. She has fun discovering new books, no pressure from me...she gets to choose what she likes and learns to read and write at her own pace. The last 2 years, she has created her own stories for our at-home puppet shows and loves to make up songs, on-the-spot, wherever we go. The irony is that since she was born, I don't think I've been able to finish one grown-up book. OK, I did read a few debut novels for a creative writing class, but that was it. At least I really enjoy reading children's books!